Museum Tour :: Riverside Museum & The Tall Ship

Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Glasgow is home to some of my absolute favourite museums (see: the Kelvingrove, the Hunterian) so while in town over Easter this year I made it a priority to head down to see the new Riverside Museum - offering a slice of life during different periods of Glasgow's history, a superb history of different kinds of transportation and a Victorian street (A+++).
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
I don't generally find cars interesting but found myself spending a good amount of time just wandering around admiring this vast array of vehicles on display across the floor and up the beautiful pale green walls (typically I captured this on black and white film, so you miss out on that part of the experience)
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
You can have a sit down inside old trams and buses and read the stories of the people who worked on them around the city - I came away with a real sense of Glasgow through the ages via methods of transport - if that even makes sense.
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Basically every kind of transport is on display at Riverside. They have an incredible display of model boats, every kind of bicycle you can think of, old caravans, fire trucks, trams and trains. Again, not things I expected to find interesting at all but found myself mesmerised as I walked around and got utterly lost.
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
The Victorian St has everything - a nice Saddlers, a pretty Photography Studio, a horse-drawn hearse.
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
The building is purpose built and its beautiful. I was really enjoying the staircases with their clean white lines and hidden hand-rails.
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Outside the Museum sits the Tall Ship, The Glenlee - a cargo ship built in the shipyards of Glasgow and now a floating museum rich in history and interactive fun (spend HOURS pulling bags of flour up and down between decks, or sleeping on the top deck, I recommend both should you have an afternoon spare).
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
I love poking around on old ships, I find the way they managed to get everything into such tiny spaces fascinating, the genius little drawers and folding away tables and sinks.
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
Riverside Museum, Glasgow
The Riverside Museum and Tall Ship are located beside the river Clyde - I recommend the lovely walk along the river from the Exhibition Centre if it is a nice day. Find out more on the superb Glasgow Museum's website and about the history of the Tall Ship on The Tall Ship website. I shot these on B&W film using my Yashica TL Electro X in April 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment