June/July Bookpile.

June / July Bookpile
You may have noticed that June yielded zero books in the bookpile, due to me napping more than reading. Which is fine to do sometimes, right? So this is a double month.

In June I was reading City of Heavenly Fire at home whilst Scarlet was my on the move book of choice. COHF is a tome - look at it, its utterly ridiculous so clearly it wasn't moving from my bedside, which meant it took a whole month to read. Hilarious as I read the entire rest of this series in a month alone (5 books, remember Morgenstern Month in 2013?). It's good, but I can't work out if it is the last in the series? Scarlet was as good as Cinder if not better, I like the introduction of new Disney Princesses (for lack of a better collective term) with each new book in this series and I can't wait to see where it all goes.

I picked up Gone Girl after it was highly recommended by a pal. I generally avoid the kind of books I see everyone reading on the tube to avoid The Da Vinci Code syndrome, but I was sold on this (also the movie looks good). I would have given Gone Girl 4 stars if it hadn't been for the ending. The ending was the MOST disappointing ending I've read in a while. 2 stars. ONLY TWO.

How I Live Now had been on my list for a while, after the film shot straight to the top of my Best Movies of 2013 list, in a lonely hotel room last December. I really, really loved the book, and I really, really enjoyed seeing how they changed things to make it work better as a film. I would normally hate these things. I like that in the film Daisy was more neurotic, everything was a bit darker. I like that the book wasn't as dark, but the ending was a bit sadder. I like the contrast between the two. I want to watch the film again.

SIGH Battle Royale, I am reading (still, still reading) Battle Royale. I don't know if its just that I'm struggling with the translation, or I'm just more of a Hunger Games kind of girl. But I'm not loving it (SORRY SOPHIE) - I don't like any of the characters, I don't care about what colour their socks are (way, way too much detail) and I want them all to die. Its not terrible, I'm just struggling to stay interested in this book.

Like books? Check out my previous Bookpiles, and give me a follow on Goodreads. And recommend away!

No comments:

Post a Comment