So Fresh and so Green Green

If you follow me on Instagram you may have recently noticed that I have been quite enthusiastic about the ridiculous amount of seasonal vege I've been getting every Thursday from Farmaround. I love that I can order vegetables to be delivered to my house every week. Apparently this makes me very middle-classed, as if living in Crouch End didn't already tick that box. Its handy, saves me time and its the only way I can know what I'm getting isn't from Peru/the other side of the world, and is seasonal and fresh. I still find it so weird that if I buy apples from the supermarket, they probably come from an orchard closer to my parents house in New Zealand than from where I am sitting right now and plan to consume them. Something about that is really not right. Apples are indigenous to Great Britain, aren't they? Why are they coming from New Zealand? So unnecessary.

Anyway, that's a whole rant I will have with you over coffee sometime, gentle reader. Not now. Not here. Here I'm going to tell you about how this one time I used up the 3 weeks worth of broad beans I had accumulated in my fridge (that's one entire vege drawer full of beans btw) to make this amazing hummous that my lovely friend Ni made and blogged about over on Bespoke Home a few months ago - I'd been dying to try it out but when would I ever buy broad beans? Where do you even get them from?  Peru probably. But it turns out they are in season RIGHT NOW in this very country so I have had an abundance of them in my vegebag for the last month. And do you know, they are amazing. I have awful broad bean memories from my childhood, for some odd reason my Grandad was obsessed with them and I hated them. I'm glad I've made peace with this delicious bean.

The recipe I used it over here - I added a handful of sunflower seeds (the "poor mans pine nut") and some grated Parmesan to beef it up a bit as we were having it with some Swedish knackerbrod for lunch. The result was a nice twist on the traditional hummous - of which I am a mega fan. Surprisingly filling and perfect for a light lunch, with some cherry toms with basil leaves tossed in olive oil & black pepper on the side.
Fancy.

4 comments:

  1. Ha, I was just thinking 'how fancy' before I got to the bottom of your post!

    One of the most enjoyable meals I ever had was fresh broad beans, peeled straight out of the pod, with fresh pecorino, crusty bread and a rough red wine during a hike in tuscan chalk country..... mmmm.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tales of adventures and food during your time in Italy are still some of my favourite tales!

      Delete
  2. Am also rediscovering broad beans after thinking I disliked them. I think that as children we ate them boiled and not peeled which means they are grey, tough and yuck. Peeled and something imaginative done to them and they are delicious. Have just ordered some seeds to plant in the allotment - wheeee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In other news, broad beans are suddenly out of season again. :(

    ReplyDelete